Search This Blog

Followers

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive

Friday, February 3, 2017

I may have won the war

Or not.  My outdoor double plant holder has been my bird seed holder for several years now.  I put two different kinds of bird seed out.  The squirrels have a definite preference.  They only like the fancy bird blocks.  It has been an ongoing battle for about a year.  Vaseline on the pole worked for a long time.  Unfortunately the summer sun melts it away.  Hot red pepper sprinkled on the seeds was a pain.  Recently the good old fashioned 'slinky' was recommended.  The squirrels have managed to figure out the curly wires.  The black ones are a little smarter than the big brown ones.  Changing the ways and angles turned out to be only a stopgap measure.  Until today.  I say that hesitantly.  The day isn't over and I did get a late start.  WD 40, sprayed on the pole and curved parts staying away from the seeds of course.  A couple hours have gone by.  I know.  That's a really short time for a test.  So far, not one squirrel!  However, taking into account it is later in the day and quite cold, no birds either.  And yes.  I checked the ground.  No lifeless bodies.  Onward and upward.  I'll keep you posted!..........................marge

No comments:

Post a Comment